Written with Memorable quotes from
There's No Time for Love, Charlie Brown (1973) (TV)
Not so long ago, i was out and about traveling in the orient east with friends. Fate has gotten its way again as i was able to spent 18 memorable days in the American west this time. I took off with my mom and pop to the States last March 3 to attend my biggest field trip in my life!
There's No Time for Love, Charlie Brown (1973) (TV)
Not so long ago, i was out and about traveling in the orient east with friends. Fate has gotten its way again as i was able to spent 18 memorable days in the American west this time. I took off with my mom and pop to the States last March 3 to attend my biggest field trip in my life!
Linus: What's wrong, Charlie Brown?
Charlie Brown: I just got terrible news. The teacher says we're going on a field trip to an art museum; and I have to get an A on my report or I'll fail the whole course. Why do we have to have all this pressure about grades, Linus?
Linus: Well, I think that the purpose of going to school is to get good grades so then you can go on to high school; and the purpose is to study hard so you can get good grades so you can go to college; and the purpose of going to college is so you can get good grades so you can go on to graduate school; and the purpose of that is to work hard and get good grades so we can get a job and be successful so that we can get married and have kids so we can send them to grammar school to get good grades so they can go to high school to get good grades so they can go to college and work hard...
Charlie Brown: Good grief!
Education is not a preparation for life, education is life itself. I never really saw myself being in a place where i wanted to go-- but i always end up where i need to be. From there i start to develop and grow to love it. I took this chance to further my knowledge and experience with COFFEE. The passion that feeds my life for the past three years. No, i aint a coffee enthusiast. I can drink a cup or two perhaps a day but my tongue will not crave for this bittersweet taste. I can even go thru a day without tasting a single cup.
For an almost three years in the industry, i found myself falling in love. Combining the science and art in a cup is probably one thing that amuses me, giddy up with glee Tamping the coffee with care, with the perfect grind, with the best of beans, with a properly steamed and foamed milk (please spare me the "frothing") and to enveloping taste of sweet coffee berries right there in one cup.
This was reason enough for me take this passion to a true profession.
Three years out of college and 7 months in masteral school has given me enough background and foundation to realize what i needed to be in my life. It was a decision i had to take to make some of the biggest changes. Perhaps to others, they'd think it was all planned, but really, it was just how things fall into places.
Coffee books started to collect on my shelf and desk and even in my locker, car, bookmarks, magnets, and not to mention, coffee mugs( that i dont even use!). I wanted to go FURTHER. to see what's beyond this collection of pure literature. Late nights waiting for closing hour, I opted to check my options online for this "greatest" fieldtrip in my life. I looked at coffee schools around the world. I never really opted to go to America to take such a course as it was "starbucks" country (yes, i have a love hate relationship with starbucks.....Kill.) until i found my way to the American Barista and Coffee School (ABCs) website.
Debating on the Italian school to the australian and to this mere school in portland, i found the essentials in this 6 day course syllabus as i compared to the one of the 3 days and the 3 months program. Backed up with so many other business related problems to a full spin out of a franchise, i took the leap and went ahead to fulfill this post graduate degree on coffee.
" I don't know why we have to go on field trips. Why can't we stay in school? Why should we bother the outside world? I think field trips were invented by school custodians to get us out of there so they can clean it! Do you know what going on a field trip means? It means we ride about 10,000 miles on a bus and we all get sick! " Sally, Memorable quotes for
There's No Time for Love, Charlie Brown (1973) (TV)
There's No Time for Love, Charlie Brown (1973) (TV)
Going to this field trip was a big risk. I never left the cafe, out of the country, for a very long time. I pulled strings, ropes and safety nets to make sure that the cafe i am leaving is still well oiled. So yes, why do we have to bother the outside world... besides the fact it's an experiential EA ( :P ). Grasping the universal truth of this industry and seeing what is not seen in my mere corner cafe-- that sipping coffee, PREPARED perfectly, is a profound event!
So i went beyond, saw things i have to clean in my own backyard. I flew 10,000 miles on a plane, working in mg P&L and QDPs yet it refueled me and made me. The people i met who shares the same passion has created a new network of people who can help me keep the whole barista dance movement.. grind. tamp. pull. steam. pour.serve.
I feel that The Barista Profession is under rated. If Food is to chefs and wine is to sommeliers, then coffee is to a barista. Coz a perfect shot created with a perfect grind are just two of so many things to create a single cup.
Now, i can say, my life has direction and i'll get there, cup by cup.
No comments:
Post a Comment